My favourite question is “Why?”. I ask it always to myself, to my students, when solving business problems, to my mom, when she is still trying to explain me “what to do with my life”. Why I like this question so much? Today I occasionally have found an interesting video on TedTalks YouTube page which answer this question.
Simon Sinek* talks about the “Why?” question in his TedTalks speech. More specifically, he explains the concept of inspiration and leadership applying to marketing and communications.
*Simon Oliver Sinek is a British-American author, motivational speaker and organizational consultant. He is the author of five books, including Start With Why. Wikipedia
The author explains some concepts and give examples. His examples include Apple**, Martin Luther King***, and the Wright brothers**** — and as a counterpoint Tivo*****, which (until a recent court victory that tripled its stock price) appeared to be struggling.
**Apple Inc. is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Cupertino, California, that designs, develops, and sells consumer electronics, computer software, and online services. It is considered one of the Big Four tech companies along with Amazon, Google, and Facebook. Wikipedia
***Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1955 until his assassination in 1968. Wikipedia
**** The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviation pioneers generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world’s first successful airplane. Wikipedia
*****TiVo is a digital video recorder developed and marketed by TiVo Corporation and introduced in 1999. TiVo provides an on-screen guide of scheduled broadcast programming television programs, whose features … Wikipedia
Brief content and timing of the video:
- starts 00:00 The video starts with the explanation of a “golden cycle” and the question “Why?”.
- starts 3:20 Apple Example. “How Apple actually communicates”.
"People don't buy "what" you do, people buy "why" you do it". (c) Simon Sinek
- start 06:00 cross-section of human brain and “golden cycle”. believes and decision-making, trust and loyalty
- starts 08:15 example of The Wright brothers and why companies fail.
- starts 11:06 theory related with “diffusion of innovation” and mass-market
- starts 13:50 TiVo example – the failure of the innovative idea
- starts 15:15 Dr. Kings successful example
- starts 17:20 – leaders and those who lead
You can see full video below. After the video see the related questions: What? How? and, of course, Why?
Q1. What? Underline theoretical concepts mentioned in the video.
- Marking Planning (Strategies, Tactics, Operations). “inspiration” as a keyword
- Market Orientation
"The goal is not to do a business with everybody who needs what you have. The goal is to do a business with those who believe what you believe". (c) Simon Sinek
- Human Resource Management. “leadership” as a keyword
- The goal is to hire people who believe in what you believe…
- Why companies fail?
- Launching innovative product/company/idea (“Crossing the Chasm” by Jeffrey Moore, early adopters, early majority), etc.
Q2. How? Relate theory with practical examples (from video or your real life experience).
Q3. This video was recorded in 2010. Do you think it is still actual? Do you agree or disagree with ideas mentioned in the video. Why?
P.S. Example of Mercedes Benz Ad
“She believed in more tan a car she believed in herself”.
As a conclusion I agree with the deep meaning of pasión which inspire others.