Old Spice antiperspirant, deodorant, body wash, hair and beard care company. It makes a ton of great things designed for men, loved by everyone. Old Spice got an objective to target a new market – young men.
The company changed its old-looking packaging to make the product more attractive for the new target.
However, the Company’s Brand image was still perceived by toung men as outdated. As a Consequence – young men shop for Axe (the main company’s competitor) with the agresive marketing campaign “AXE effect”.
(Link on the video Google Drive https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NlNRfPYy2uGnxBsC0DsG8c7NccmddiNP)
Thus, the next action is undertaken by the company — rebranding.
Or google drive link >>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_v5pCMYoAd0-5JKLrealTPO-XjrJ2HkL
This solution turns into success. Explain why?
Comment on 3 main ideas:
- Because the company is changing the brand image and prospects perception through the change of the Positioning message. They include visual elements and stereotypes of successful men.
- The company makes clear differentiation from the main competitor (AXE) who is putting in the commercials, thin men who attract women by using deodorant and creating an “AXE effect”.
- the company applied a re-positioning strategy. The success is in targeted the women to buy the product for their men instead of men buying their own, as it didn’t work. With a positioning focused on a new target — women as a buyer, the company reach young men as a user.
watch AXE effect #1 commercial >>>
Some other nice ideas:
- They changed the image with the advertisement, by using stereotypes for young men. For example, that young men are muscular and buy women expensive things.
- As young men a less self-confident, rather than eldest. The advertisement they did was adequate to engage young people to buy their product as it was making them feel successful with women.
- Using a famous actor being the influencer and creating a funny clip made it much more interesting and attractive for them.
- The add is sharable which increase the customer reach.
- Women can motivate men for a purchase.